Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 64 & 65 - Continued improvement

Well, I guess this is more progress...Hospice is cutting back their visits to mom. My plan is to call them on Monday and talk to them again about all of this. I guess I just need the continued reminder that mom does have cancer and things will most likely change again. It's interesting how easily my brain can believe that maybe somehow, miraculously, mom's cancer just went away.

But perhaps the two rounds of chemo that she did actually accomplished something. And it was all that she needed to give her more time. I know it doesn't work that way for everyone. But I'll certainly take what I can get.

Mom's good friend, Eileen, was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer about a month or two before mom got her diagnosis. Eileen attempted chemo, but it just made her sicker (like mom). She decided to stop it at as well, and a week ago, started Hospice care. She died last night at home surrounded by her family.

That's a sad reminder of how blessed we truly are. Eileen was a wonderful woman and it's so sad to me that she is gone. I wish I could figure out a way to get to her funeral on Friday, but I may have to send my wishes from afar.

I saw mom and dad today briefly. I brought my best friend Shannon by for a visit. Mom and dad seem so happy and so comfortable. Shannon said my mom looked so much better than she expected. That's what everyone says. I can't argue with that.

Mom talked to me today about an appointment she has with her hair stylist. She doesn't want to be pre-emptive and thinks that maybe not enough hair has grown back in to do anything with it, but I told her I thought it was a wonderful thing for her to be going in and that her stylist can give her some ideas or, if nothing else, tell her what to expect and when a good time to come back in will be. I love that she is planning ahead for things like this. Again...all really good signs of progress. I just so want it to stay this way!!

I didn't get a chance to call around for birthday locations yesterday. I'm going to start that on Monday, but keep holding Sunday, June 7th on your calendar! I think mom is actually looking forward to celebrating her birthday. And so am I! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment