Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 52: Mother's Day

Today was most likely my last Mother's Day with my mom.

It was a simple day. Michael, Kiersten and Gus met myself and Olly and my boys up at mom and dad's. Kiersten brought a beautiful bowl of fruit and orange juice. I brought up, and Olly and I cooked bacon, eggs and cinnamon rolls. Mom ate quite a bit. Most the food was gone by the time we were all done. It was worth every minute of the 3 hours in the car up and back and the hour and a half of cooking.

One thing I regret is that we didn't get pictures today. I had planned to get pictures of me and Michael and Mom and Dad. But before I knew it, Michael and Kiersten were heading out so they could get home before Gus needed his nap. I remember those days of having a 2 year old SO well. :-O

So, I missed the photo op. We'll have to do it the next time we're together...soon! I want pictures of mom like this. I will take pictures later too. But I want the ones right now, while she's feeling better.

Tomorrow I call Hospice to talk to them about the catheter for mom's stomach. Her nurse told her that they still think she should do it. So I'm going to follow up and get the pros and cons and then mom can take it from there. It would certainly reduce mom's stress level of constantly having to worry about getting in and getting it drained before it gets too bad. So, there's something big to be said about that.

In 11 days, my new nephew will be here. 50 days ago...heck 3 weeks ago...I wasn't sure my mom would see Mother's Day. And she did. None of us felt good about the possibility of her meeting her new grandson. Now we believe she will. And may very likely see her own birthday in 27 days (although I know lots can change in that time...but I refuse to quit believing).

I would love to have more Mother's Days with my mom. But if this is the last one I get, it will be one filled with smiles and hugs. I will hold those smiles and hugs close to my heart forever.

Small blessings.

I'll take each and every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment