Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 56 & 57: Good News!

It's kind of nice when there is a day when I just have nothing to blog about like yesterday. Mom and dad are are doing so well that some days it truly is same old, same old which is really a great thing.

I still call every morning and night just to check in. Today when I called dad had gone to his Kiwanis meeting and mom turned the Hospice volunteer away because she just felt like she was fine on her own. And she does seems to be just fine quite honestly.

Everyone asks me about my mom and it's just so odd to try and explain how well she is doing. It's almost as if those 5 days in the hospital didn't even happen. Although ask dad and he'll tell you he knows they did because he's seeing the bills roll in! But it really is amazing how well she is doing.

The great news tonight was 1) Mom and dad made it to dinner with Jim and Nancy. This is FANTASTIC! Mom said the food was wonderful, that it was great to see Jim and Nancy and that the entire staff at the restaurant was happy to see them. She said there were lots of hugs and kisses. Kind of makes me tear up a little just thinking about it. And then 2) the Hospice nurse could barely contain herself when she arrived at mom and dad's today. She had news for them. It has been decided that when mom needs her stomach drained, the Hospice doctor will come to their house to do it! This is incredible news. We never even imagined that being an option. This takes so much stress off of mom and dad (and me too!). I am just overwhelmed by Hospice. Everyone told me that we would be pleased with them, but they have just been incredible. I am so thankful for them.

I had a little moment driving home from a prenatal visit with clients today. Maybe it's just the first time I've been alone in my car in some time. But I was driving over a bridge, the sun was setting and, for just a moment, it took me back to all those nights driving home from the hospital and it got to me. I don't think any tears actually fell...but they were building up in my eyes.

I know the cancer is still there. I know this journey has just begun. But I'm honestly hoping this portion of it can be long. The portion where mom sounds like herself and can get out and have fun. I want this to last a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment