Friday, October 9, 2009

Day 204: The Hardest Day

Today was, as far as I can remember, the hardest day of my life.

My mom is, for all sense and purposes, gone. There is nothing to her. Occasionally she would say something that would make us laugh, but for the most part, she is gone.

Hospice was there. Aunt Judy and Uncle Charlie and Aunt Marlene were there. It was good to have family around when Hospice discussed what happens from here. It's obvious they were preparing us for what is coming quickly. I read through the Hospice booklet and mom is exhibiting signs of someone with one to two weeks left to live.

Michael is working on a eulogy. I'm working on an obituary. My dad is spending his days keeping mom comfortable and wondering what he is going to do without her.

He has cried more in the past several days than I have ever seen him cry. And it breaks my heart.

This is it. This is the end. There is no getting better this time. And I'm lost. I'm just so lost in this pain.

1 comment:

  1. (((Hugs))) I wish there was a way to take this pain away from you.

    ReplyDelete