Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 7: The First Week

So, a week ago today I was just finishing up a childbirth class and still reeling with the news that my mom was very ill.

This has been an incredibly long week. I've gone from complete despair to sadness to reflection to this place where I'm at now where I'm just determined that my mom is going to beat this.

Today mom got her chemo schedule. Looks like she'll have chemo once a week for 3 weeks in a row starting next Friday and then will have a week off and then back on for 3 weeks. I don't know how long this goes on, but for now, I feel like there's a plan.

The doctors are telling her she may not lose her hair and hopefully won't get too sick from the chemo. That's good news.

Mom said the building where she'll be getting her chemo has a beautiful view. I guess that's something...

Her stomach is starting to give her some problems again. The doctor said it would be good to hold out on having it drained for as long as she can, so she's trying to do just that. But it looks like she'll be needing to have it drained in the not too distant future.

So, I'm in the mode of arranging for childcare for Fridays (anyone want to jump in? ;-)) and planning my weeks. I want to be there for as many of her chemo appointments as possible. I'm also trying to find a good voice recorder so that mom can start telling me her "story".

This time last week I was in such shock. Today, the shock has worn off somewhat and has been replaced by this determination. I like this feeling better and hope I can hang on to it throughout the coming weeks!

So, here we go on to week 2. Moving forward. Staying positive. Determined for my mom to beat this! Believing it can be done!

Thanks to all of you who continue to offer me your thoughts and prayers and kind words. I can't explain how much they mean to me. You are all what has gotten me through this week! Thank you just doesn't seem like enough, but it's all I've got right now. So, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment