Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 5: Moving Ahead

So, things are moving. Thursday mom and dad go to the cancer center for treatment and financial counseling. It's so great to sit down and see how much you're going to have to pay to stay alive. :-(

Then next Tuesday, mom has an MRI and gets her shunt/port put in for her chemo. Still don't know when the chemo will actually start, but I guess we're on our way.

I'm frustrated by the fact that they still can't determine exactly where the cancer is originating from. They are going to treat her for the most obvious type, which seems to be ovarian cancer. They'll keep looking for a specific starting point though. They did say that if it is ovarian cancer, they can probably get my mom into remission which is a positive thought. Although ovarian cancer almost always returns so this wouldn't be the end of chemo.

I'm also annoyed at how long the whole process is taking. Although I suppose this is just day 5. But when someone says you have 3 months to live without any treatment and then it takes almost 2 weeks to start treatment...I don't know...it just seems like a long time.

I'm still walking around in this weird fog. Going through the motions. Getting things done. But very slowly and not with a lot of joy. Thank goodness for my sweet boys who do continue to give me my daily smiles.

I'm still not sleeping well and getting up in the morning is tough. But it's still all one step at a time. Some of these steps feel like my feet are weighted down though. The effort it takes to take a step sometimes seems like it's taking all I've got. But I will keep moving forward because my mom is fighting and intend to fight for her right by her side!

No comments:

Post a Comment