Monday, June 15, 2009

Days 86 - 88: Dr. Check Up

I just talked with mom and dad. As always, I said, "What's new?" Tonight they said there was something new and my heart skipped a beat. I'm scared every time they don't just say, "Nothing new". Turns out this is good news. At least I think so.

Mom's primary care doctor (not her Oncologist) called tonight, after hours. She was completing paperwork for mom and dad's insurance and wanted to talk to mom. The insurance company is wanting to cut off Hospice because mom is doing so well, but her dr. wanted to make sure that was actually warranted. She asked mom a lot of questions and then said she wanted her to make an appt. to come see her.

I am really impressed! This is a dr. that doesn't know mom well. She replaced mom's previous care provider and had only seen mom once before her cancer diagnosis. Yet, here she took it upon herself to call mom after business hours to get answers to some questions instead of just completing some form from the insurance company and sending it back in.

It angers me so much when insurance can dictate how and when a person gets care! Maybe mom doesn't need Hospice right now. But maybe she still does. To have an insurance company make that call is so infuriating to me.

So mom and dad are calling back in the morning to make an appt. I'm really glad to hear this. I think it will be good for her to be seen. Maybe she'll have some blood work. Maybe someone can determine exactly how she is doing. She hasn't needed her stomach drained in weeks. It's just so odd. She was needing it done at least every 2 weeks before, and immediately, after she was in the hospital. And now, nothing. Why is that? Why is mom's Diabetes and High Blood Pressure just gone? It's just all odd. I'm not complaining, mind you. I just find it so very odd.

I'm just really pleased that someone will be taking a look at her. And I'm really happy that her dr. is looking out for her.

I'm planning another trip up north for Father's Day this weekend. I'm still struggling with a sinus infection, but am significantly better than I was on mom's birthday. So my plan is to make another chocolate cake to be shared by both mom and dad and have a late birthday celebration with mom as well as celebrate Father's Day with dad.

Oh...and on a personal note...I received my formal acceptance into Upper Iowa University's Distance program. I'm officially a college student again. :-) I still have to work out all the financial aid stuff, but I hope to have my Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Sociology within the next couple of years. Part of me thinks I'm crazy to try this as a Homeschooling Mom and Childbirth Educator and Doula. But the other part of me knows it's TIME! So, I'm moving forward. My boys tell me I don't look like a college student. I don't really feel like one either. But ask me again around finals time. LOL!

Here's to a good new week! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment