Monday, June 1, 2009

Days 72, 73 & 74: New things to keep my mind busy

Another 3 days in one blog. Again, I feel kind of good about that. Although I did have a client have a baby Sunday morning at 3:26am so was gone most of Saturday afternoon and all that night and am still in recovery mode. Thinking of blogging wasn't on my sleepy mind yesterday.

Today I made my daily morning call to mom and dad. We chatted about the week ahead. Mom has an appointment tomorrow with her hair stylist to see if there is something she can do with her hair now that it's starting to grow back in. I'm glad she's going as I think it will do her good to feel a little better about her appearance. I hardly notice her hair loss as it didn't all fall out. But I know she does, so I'm glad she's doing something to make herself feel better.

Then mom mentioned that Dad has his 6 month check up with his Neurologist on Thursday to see how his Parkinson's is doing. Mom said she is going with dad because she wants the doctor to know all he's been through lately. She sort of hinted that dad may be showing some more symptoms so I just flat out asked her what was going on. I'm pretty much at the point where I'm not going to be okay with any sort of secrets about their health any more. So, mom said that she has just noticed more tremors lately. Now, this could all just be the added stress and I'm glad mom is going to mention it to the doctor. But then the other, crazier, side of my brain starts thinking, "Oh boy...what if his meds are already wearing off?" But I guess I just have to let that go for right now. There will be more answers after Thursday and there is a very good possibility that dad is just under so much stress and that it has caused some more Parkinson's symptoms to appear.

On a more personal note, my application is sent in to become a college student again. I'm working on financial aid and I hope to begin classes this September. I spent some time figuring things out yesterday and if all goes as planned (yes...I know...that is unlikely...LOL!), I'll be done with my Bachelor's in March of 2011 and my Masters in August of 2013. I have to admit that I might have continued to procrastinate on all of this if it hadn't been for mom's illness. It really reminded me how short life can be. I don't want to sit around and wait for "tomorrow" to come anymore. I'm excited and terrified, all at the same time, at the prospect of being a college student again...while working and raising two boys at the same time. But it will all be worth it in the end. And 2013 will be here before I know it. It's coming no matter what. Would I rather have a Masters degree or no Masters degree when it gets here? I choose the Masters degree!

And today, I renewed my plan to get some of this stress weight off of me. I need to take control of that. I'm hoping to have 20lbs off by Jonathan's birthday in September and then 10 more by the end of the year. This also is spurred on my getting my family to eat better. I don't know what causes cancer, but I know that bagged and boxed food does not hold much of any nutritional value for anyone and my family eats that way much too often. It's time to start preparing more meals. I know we're busy. But it's time to make time for us all to be healthy. It's a priority.

And on even more of a side note...The boys and I went and saw Pixar's "UP" today. I found it to be much more of an adult movie than a kid movie and it really struck a chord with me. The story of an old man and what he does after he loses his wife was really kind of hit home on many different levels. Anyway...I'd recommend it if you were looking for a movie that has a lot of underlying themes rolled into one good storyline.

I guess that's enough for today. I have a busy June, but am excited one of the first things on the calendar is mom's birthday. That is such a good thing and I'm so happy to be able to be making a cake for her this year! She told me that this isn't a "special" (meaning a 60th, 70th, etc.) birthday. I told her it was absolutely a special birthday and more special that any other since just a month ago we didn't think any of us were going to see another birthday of hers. She understood that and was much more open to the idea of a small celebration so I'm really happy to be celebrating her birthday this year. If the doctors are right, it will be her last one. But I'm no longer convinced that anyone knows what is going to happen. So, for now I will celebrate her 73rd birthday and look forward to her 74th year on this earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment