Friday, April 30, 2010

Pedestals

When I started this blog, it was for me. I know that many people read it now, but I still try to be true to myself and not write for anyone else. Today's post may not be enjoyable for some people to read, but this is where I am today and it's important to ME. So, you've been warned. Don't read any further if you don't want to.

Today is my 41st birthday. I have been dreading this day. I felt a terrible sense of loss looming. I have written about it a couple of times here. I expected that I would feel very sad today on my first birthday after my mom died. No birthday card would be coming from my mom. It would be noticeable. However, I had no idea what would truly be noticeably missing.

I ended up spending 20 hours at a birth that rolled into my birthday. This is the 2nd year in a row that I've had a client have her baby on my birthday. I rang in my birthday at Midnight with a client dealing with a long and difficult birth. And as the clock turned Midnight, an overwhelming sadness took over me. I wasn't surprised. I had plans for this day. I had wanted to go to the cemetery. But I knew that on no sleep, I couldn't drive up there today. It wasn't safe. And I was sad about that.

But by the time I was driving home, around 3:30am, I was feeling upbeat about my birthday. As I drove onto my street, a bright light shone from out of the sky. It made me stop my car and look at it. It was simply the nearly full moon shining through a patch of clouds. But it lit up the sky and seemed to be speaking just to me. I felt something that said it was okay not to go to the cemetery today. That it was not a necessary trip. That today was going to hold something else. Something I needed to experience and honor. It gave me a sense of calm. When I got home, I took a shower and crawled into bed around 4am. I slept for about 2 hours when the boys got up and I rose with them to start my day.

But what hit me when I got up was something I didn't expect. I was feeling something I didn't quite understand. When I woke, my initial gut reaction was, "It's my birthday, I wonder if mom will call me today." That was my reaction because that's what I thought on every birthday during my adulthood. My mom never called me on my birthday. Yes, she sent a card. Yes, she sent money. But she never called. She never went out of her way to wish me a Happy Birthday and over the years, it started to build up. About 4 years ago, it really peaked and I actually didn't talk to mom all day. I normally would cave around dinner time and call her. But 4 years ago I didn't give in and I didn't speak to my mom on my birthday. And it kind of broke my heart.

I can't imagine not talking to my kids on their birthdays. They are such gifts to me. Their birthdays are incredibly important to me. And I'll admit that while growing up, my mom gave me some nice birthday parties. But once I hit adulthood, apparently she just didn't feel the need to even make a phone call.

But she also repeated to me over and over during the course of my life that the day of my birth was the worst day of her life. Yes...she said that. Out loud. To my face. And no, I don't think she was really kidding. And even if she was...why would you say that to your child? Over and over throughout the course of their life?

And this morning...all of that came rushing back in a flood of emotions. And I realized that many of my birthdays were wrapped up in wanting to be with my mom or hear from my mom because I wanted that validation that my birthday was important to the woman that gave it to me. But I'm not really sure that it was. Maybe not until last year. And I'll take that and I'll honor it. And I am grateful for the fences that were mended last year. But it was very obvious to me when I awoke this morning that I have work left to do. My birthday brought a renewal of deep seated feelings. And I thought to myself...today my mom will not call me...not because she won't, but because she can't. And as ugly as it sounds to say it out loud, there is a part of me that feels more comfortable with that today. I have not sat around waiting for her to call. I did not make a pilgrimage to the cemetery to find that connection that I tried to find every year on my birthday. I didn't "need" that this year. I found the connection I needed last year. I do believe many old wounds were healed. But today, on THIS birthday, the day became very noticeably MINE. And in some small, confusing, hard-to-understand way, it gave me a sense of peace on this day alone.

I will go to the cemetery on Mother's Day and I will cry for all I have lost because I DO miss my mom. Terribly. I will go to the cemetery on her birthday and mourn the fact that she will never see another birthday and that breaks my heart. Truly. I miss my mom. I miss what I feel like we were just starting to understand about each other. None of that is changed by what I feel today. But today was freeing in a way that no day has been in a long time.

I read somewhere that when someone dies, we put them up on a pedestal and we remember all the good things and forget the negative. That makes sense. But I also remember reading that there are times during grief, that the pedestal comes down a bit as we start coming to terms with reality and remembering more specifics about the one we lost. I believe today was a piece of that. I think it's actually healthy. Even though it does still sound kind of ugly to say it all "out loud" for the world to see and hear. But it is my truth and this is my blog and it is my birthday and I get to say what I want. :-)

I don't know why my mom chose to have me when she didn't want me. I don't know if she did it because that was what was expected of her. I don't know if she felt she had no other choice. I don't know any of the answers. But she did have me. She did give me my birthday and I honor that today. She raised me well and I appreciate all that she gave me. I miss her dearly. Every day.

But I am taking back my birthday. I don't have to look for her love or approval on this day anymore. And I am making this day mine again. I don't have to sit and wait for her to call anymore and get more and more worked up as the day goes on. This day belongs to me. Today I had many e-mails and facebook messages and texts from friends and family. I feel loved. In years past all those people could have done the same thing and I would still have felt something missing at the end of my day when my mom didn't call. I won't feel that today. Do I feel a hole every single day of my life? Absolutely. But today will be no different. It won't be more of a hole. And it won't ruin my day.

I loved my mom and I know she loved me. That is enough now. It wasn't before, but it is now. Today I let go of all those past years that I let her have control over my birthday. Today I take my birthday back and make it my day. She gave it to me and I love her for that. But for many years I gave her a large chunk of my day. I originally wanted to say she took it from me, but I don't think that's fair. She couldn't take anything that I wasn't giving. And today, I took it back. And that feels good too.

So, I'd like to say I'm sorry if any of this offended anyone, but I'm not. Because these are my feelings and that's what this blog was for originally. And as I take back my birthday, it means not letting my feelings and emotions be controlled by anyone else. That will probably always be a work in progress. But today was a start.

Today has been a good day. It has been a calming day. It has been a birthday like no other birthday has been as long as I can remember. The dread I had for it did not materialize. Yes, something completely different was unearthed when I woke this morning. But it was healing. And healing is good.

So, today I thank my mom for giving me my birthday. I am sure 41 years ago was a pretty terrifying day for her. She was beginning the recovery from a cesarean birth with a baby she didn't really want in a city far away from anyone she knew. I'm not sure I could have done all that. I'm not sure I could have pushed through. And so, today I honor her for giving me this day. And today I also take it back as MY day. My mom gave it to me. But now it's time to take it and make it my own. And I do it filled with love...not anger, not sadness, not grief...but love alone. And for the first birthday in many, many years, I feel complete and utter joy and gratitude to my mom and all those that love me enough to have taken a moment out of their day to let me know they were thinking of me today. I was blessed 41 years ago with the gift of my live. I am blessed today as I have been given a life, renewed. And without my mom I would not have had any of that. And that is the ultimate blessing of all.

1 comment:

  1. Kelli - I'm so glad to "see" you healing. I think a huge part of grief is figuring out new ways of being with ourselves and with the world and, just sometimes, we can find new ways of being that are better than our old ways.

    Isabel

    ReplyDelete